Monday, December 14, 2009

For my brother...



Brother,
Last Saturday I had a last minute shoot in Orange County for a Catering Company. Julia Swenson, the chef/owner of the company made a few dishes which looked very good and took a couple of hours to photograph. Although I wanted to, I hesitated to taste them because you know how I am, if I start I can't stop, and I didn't want to make the wrong impression. Except towards the end, when she made an appetiser which, the moment I saw it, I knew I was going to break down and try it. Baked Panceta with goat cheese and baked pears!!!!!!!!! I think she made 6-8 of them for me to photograph, and once I was done shooting, I eat ALL of them. I talked to Julia the following Monday and I asked her how she prepared it, and she was nice enough to give me the recipe. Very easy and very tasty. I thought you and Megan would enjoy making it for one of your parties. Today I made the pears just to see how they come out and tomorrow I am going to Whole Foods to stock up on panceta and goat cheese. So, here is the recipe:
1. Panceta, sliced on the thick side and then cut lengthwise 2-3"
2. Goat cheese
3. One pear, pealed and sliced pretty thin
4. Olive oil
5. Salt

A. Bake the panceta at 400 degrees for 20-30 min or until nice and crisp. Julia used a cookie cooling rack so the fat dropped onto the pan.
B. In a small bowl, coat the pears with a little bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt
C. Place the pear slices on a parchment paper or a flat baking dish and bake for 30min at 400 degrees, or until the slices become translucent and edges start to brown.
D. Assemble: panceta, some goat cheese, a slice of pear.

Enjoy! Love, your brother.







No comments:

Post a Comment