Thursday, November 12, 2009

Shooting food with hot lights?!! what's next: mixing oil and vinegar?

I recently ran into an old college friend whom I haven't seen in more than 10 years. We got together at my favorite restaurant, Marche (not the one in Costa Mesa, but the better one in Sherman Oaks), and come to find out that he's been shooting food as well. I guess for the last few years we've been competing for the same clients and didn't even know it. Anyhow, after much talk about broken marriages and old girlfriends and reminiscing about college, and jobs we worked on together when we did TV, we started talking about how we do things when we shoot food... equipment, style, cameras etc. To my total surprise and consternation I found out that he shoots with hot lights. Blasphemy in my book! True, not quite "hot" but more like kino flo's (florescent system balanced for daylight), but still "continuous" type of lights. I didn't show my consternation but,... I went home,... took my hot lights out and the next day I started to experiment. I forgot how much fun it can be to shoot with these things, primarily because you see exactly what you are going to end up with, before you even press the button on your camera. And, to my surprise, I got some pretty interesting shots, way different than what I usually do, but nevertheless nice.













No comments:

Post a Comment